Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- whole cloves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (heaped)
- Optional: chop cinnamon, ginger or ground allspice
- Place a rack on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius / Gas 3).
- In the prepared pan, place the ham, fat side up, on a wire rack. Score the fat in a diamond pattern all over, cutting to a depth of about 3/4 inch. Pin with cloves if desired. Insert a clove into each rhombus intersection, or "X."
- Bake the ham for about 20 minutes per pound, or until the meat thermometer or instant read thermometer reads at least 140 F (60 C), the minimum safe temperature for a fully cooked ham. If the ham is not fully cooked, it must be cooked to at least 145 F. (62.8 C).
- Combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, apple juice, mustard, and ground spices in a medium saucepan (if using). Bring the mixture to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil for about 2 minutes (be careful not to boil it).
- Put about half of the glaze on top of the ham about 20 minutes before it's done; return it to the oven. Roll the remaining glaze mixture over the ham about 10 minutes before it's done.
- Allow the ham to rest for 10-15 minutes before sculpting and serving, covered loosely with aluminum foil.
- In the brown sugar glaze, replace maple syrup with honey, agave nectar, or golden brown syrup
- A 6-pound poached half-pound serves approximately 12 people, or approximately 2 people per pound. A 4-pound boneless ham serves approximately 12 people. Make sure you have enough ham for leftovers, and you may want to send some ham home with guests or family members.
- A half ham weighs approximately 5-7 pounds. Allow 18-20 minutes per pound for a whole ham weighing 10 to 15 pounds, and double the glaze ingredients.
- Serve with roast pork, roast pork ribs, or ribs. About 10 minutes before the meat is done, brush it with the glaze.
Amount Per Serving Calories 141Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 76mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 0gSugar 33gProtein 0g