Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 lb (907.2 g) beef shank
- 2 lb (907.2 g) oxtail
- 2 lb (907.2 g) pork hocks
- 1 lb (453.6 g) Huế style pork sausage chả Huế, which has garlic and whole peppercorns
- 1 lb (453.6 g) block of pork blood
- Bring all of the meat and enough water to cover it to a boil in a stock pot. Drain and thoroughly rinse under running water.
- Fill the pot almost to the brim with water and add the meat, broth, lemongrass, and onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium-high heat to maintain a low boil. Season to taste.
- On a tray, there is boiled meat and sliced onion.
- Allow it to simmer while you check the meats for doneness and remove them as they finish cooking. The pork should be done in about an hour, while the beef can take up to 2-3 hours.
- After you've removed all of the meat, allow it to cool before slicing it. If necessary, adjust the seasoning and add water to the broth pot.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- Assemble your bowl and serve on a side platter with herbs and vegetables.
- Saute the seeds in oil over medium heat until they turn a bright red color, then remove them.
- red coloring from annatto seeds and oil
- Saute shallots and garlic until brown.
- For color, add all of this to the pot of broth.
Amount Per ServingCalories 97Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 13mgSodium 105mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 19g