Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- ½ cup + 1½ tablespoon (120 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 extra large eggs at room temperature
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or vanilla extract optional
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (120 grams) cake flour
- Remove the eggs from the refrigerator ahead of time because they must be at room temperature, or soak them in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170° C. (338 degrees F).
- Butter and flour a 20 cm (8 inch) baking pan (or spray with baking spray)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and lemon zest.
- Beat the eggs on medium/high speed for about 15/20 minutes, or until very fluffy and pale yellow. Allow a small amount of batter to fall into the bowl to see if it has been sufficiently beaten. If it is still "sitting" on top, it means it is ready.
- Sift the flour over the egg mixture a little at a time, and gently fold it in with a wooden spoon.
- Fill the prepared pan halfway with the batter. Leave it as is, don't smooth the top or bang the pan on the counter!
- 40 minutes in the oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Remember not to open the oven door for the first 30 minutes!)
- Turn off the oven but leave the cake inside for 5-10 minutes (with the door slightly ajar with a wooden spoon) to cool slowly.
- Remove the sponge cake from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before loosening the edges with a knife and flipping it upside down on a wire rack (without the pan) to cool completely.
- as simple as Apple Pie owns the copyright to all images and text and does not permit its original recipes and images to be reproduced anywhere other than on this site unless permission is granted.
Amount Per Serving Calories 213Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 234mgSodium 123mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 11g