Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 700 g of chicken breast
- 200 g of bell pepper
- 80 g of roasted peanuts (unsalted ones are better if you find them)
- 1 fresh ginger root or 1 tablespoon of powdered ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (corn starch)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 glass of water
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce (for the gluten-free version I use Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- To make kung pao chicken, begin by cutting the chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces (1). Place them on a plate and top with fresh grated ginger or powdered ginger. Add the cornstarch as well.
- Chinese chicken kung pao corn kernels 1Mix a little, then add the brown sugar and the garlic, peeled and cut into large chunks. Stir once more, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients: if you use salted peanuts, which are easier to find, rub them with a sheet of kitchen paper to remove some of the salt. Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper and cut it into thin slices.
- Chinese chicken kung pao recipe with corn grain 2
- After the marinating time has passed, remove the garlic pieces from the chicken and cook: heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok or a high-sided pan, then sauté the peppers for a minute or two over high heat. Cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes on high heat, turning it frequently to prevent it from sticking. Remove it from the pan when it is tender and slightly golden, and keep it warm.
- Chinese chicken kung pao corn kernels 3 In a glass, combine all of the sauce ingredients, making sure to thoroughly combine to melt the cornstarch. Then, pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken cooking juices and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the sauce begins to thicken, return the chicken to the pan, along with the peanuts, and cook for another minute or two, until the sauce is thick.
- Chinese chicken kung pao recipe with corn grain 4
- Serve the kung pao chicken immediately with some boiled basmati rice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 569Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 149mgSodium 1148mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 9gProtein 61g