Biryani is a traditional Indian rice dish made with a variety of spice mixtures, meat or fish, and long basmati rice.
There are numerous variations and ways to prepare it; our lamb biryani adapts to the ingredients that we have on hand. Its exquisite flavor has won us over!
With the spectacular mix of spices in the recipe, the basmati rice takes on a new dimension; the lamb perfectly complements the whole and is surprisingly tender due to the gentle cooking.
- 350 g basmati rice
- 350 g Lamb chopped and boneless
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml Water
- 100 g Dried tomatoes in oil
- 50 g raisins
- 25 g sliced almonds
- 1 bunch Garlic
- Fresh coriander
- Oil and salt
- 5 Cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or hot paprika)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and grind them in a mortar until fine. Cook all the spices in a pan or casserole with a drizzle of oil over low heat for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the garlic into thin slices and the lamb into 3-centimeter cubes. Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the garlic and lamb and cook over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the meat changes color.
- Add the basmati rice and lightly sauté for a minute to absorb all of the flavors.
- Combine the coconut milk and water in a mixing bowl and add it to the casserole or pan, along with two pinches of salt. Cover, bring to a boil (medium-high heat), and then reduce the heat so that it cooks very slowly for the time recommended by the manufacturer - between 12 and 14 minutes.
- Toast the sliced almonds in a skillet over medium heat without any oil. Cut the dried tomatoes and cilantro into irregular pieces. When the rice is done, remove it from the heat and stir in the dried tomatoes, coriander, and raisins. Mix well and top with toasted sliced almonds.
Amount Per Serving Calories 446Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 0mgSodium 227mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 6gSugar 9gProtein 8g