Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Lemons were 700 g
- Caster sugar q.b.
- Waterfall 50 g
- Fresh ginger
- Wash the lemons thoroughly under running water and brush them thoroughly to remove any earth or other substances.
- Remove the two ends of the lemons and cut them into very thin slices, removing any seeds as well. Place the lemon slices in a bowl, cover with water, cover with cling film, and set aside for 24 hours at room temperature.
- After 24 hours, drain the water from the lemon slices and repeat the operation to fill the bowl with water and leave to rest for another 24 hours; this will allow the lemon to lose its bitter taste, which is primarily provided by the peel.
- After 24 hours, remove the water from the bowl and place the lemon slices in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. When it reaches a boil, turn off the heat, take 350 ml of the water, and discard the rest.
- Add 350 mL of water, granulated sugar, and fresh grated ginger to the lemon slices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, for about 40 minutes, or until the lemon is almost caramelized.
- Transfer the lemon jam with ginger into the jars, close tightly, turn them over, and let them cool. When they are cool, check that you do not hear the click-clack when pressing on the caps, which indicates that they are not vacuum packed; if you do, reopen all the jars, sterilize them, heat the jams thoroughly, and repeat the procedure.
- The lemon and ginger jam will keep for three months if kept in the fridge and consumed within three to four days of opening.
- If you want a less spicy lemon and ginger jam, add a piece of ginger to the lemon slices before cooking and remove it when done. If you want to keep the jam for a longer period of time, boil the jam jars in a large pot for 20 minutes and then let them cool in water; this method will keep the jam for one year, though given its goodness, it will be gone much sooner.
Amount Per Serving Calories 55Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 4mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 2g