Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Whole chicken 1 kg
- Coarse salt 50 g
- 2 cloves garlic
- Sage 5 leaves
- Bay leaf 2 leaves
- Rosemary 2 sprigs
- Oregano 1 sprig
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- To prepare roast chicken, tie it first so that it keeps its shape after cooking. To keep it still, wrap a rubber band around the end of your legs, stretch it out, and wrap it around behind your chest.
- In a mixer, combine the coarse salt, bay leaf, and other aromatic herbs such as rosemary, sage, and fresh oregano. Add 2 peeled garlic cloves as well
- Blend everything together and place the mixture in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a baking dish that has been lined with aluminum foil. Brush or massage extra virgin olive oil over both sides of the chicken.
- Cover with the aromatic mince, massaging it in with both hands on all sides to ensure good adhesion. Season the insides of the chicken with the aromatic mince as well.
- Cook the chicken for about an hour in a preheated static oven at 180 °. Sprinkle the chicken with the cooking juices from time to time. Halfway through cooking, remove the chicken from the oven and turn it over14 to ensure even cooking on both sides. Continue to cook, dabbing the chicken with the stock from time to time. Remove and serve your chicken15 after it has finished cooking. To ensure that it is thoroughly cooked, take a temperature reading in the center of the leg; it should be 72°.
- Increase the amount of salt and herbs if you use a larger chicken. Consider that 50 g of salt is required for every kg of chicken. Cooking times will also vary, as one hour of cooking time is required for every kg of chicken.
Amount Per ServingCalories 635Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 220mgSodium 5051mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 69g