This week is World Meatless Week, as you are no doubt aware.
Finding “meat substitutes” or similar ingredients in supermarkets was extremely difficult a few years ago, almost as difficult as finding really good recipes on the internet.
Today, we are fortunate to have both the ingredients and recipes, as well as up-to-date health professionals, who support these meat substitutes, because they are not only tasty, but also high in protein and much more sustainable.
This is the case with seitan; it has not yet gained popularity among the general population in the same way that tofu has, but finding it in Gadis was a pleasant surprise; it also comes in a glass bottle, which doubles its value in terms of sustainability, making it a healthy and zero waste product!
What more could you ask for?
- 1 jar of Bio Eco Basket Seitan
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 4 or 5 roasted potatoes (I have used them roasted in the oven but in the microwave, steamed or cooked they are also worth it)
- 2 tablespoons of flour of your choice
- 1 tablespoon of tahin
- Olive oil, oregano and salt
- Cut the onion into thin slices and sauté it in a good jet of olive oil for 10-12 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a blender glass with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, a tablespoon of tahini, and a pinch of salt, and blend until a homogeneous mixture is obtained; if your mixer is struggling, add a little water (1/4 glass should be enough), remove from the mixer, and reserve.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the onion, stir for a few minutes until all of the water is absorbed, then add a pinch of salt and half a glass of water (about 100 ml), pour into a blender, and blend until smooth. A light and homogeneous sauce; add a little more water if necessary; taste the sauce to check the salt level. Reservation.
- Cut the seitan into thin slices and pass it around the pan, then pour the onion sauce over it and cook for a few minutes over medium heat, then serve with the mashed potatoes and salad and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 323Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 781mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 10g