Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- ¼ cup apple juice or rum
- ½ cup of mixed nuts
- ½ cup raisins
- 1¼ cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk (save the white for topping)
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves or allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4½ cups (539g) all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 reserved egg white
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 teaspoons milk
- Mix the rum or apple juice with the nuts and raisins in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave until the fruit and liquid are very hot and the plastic begins to "shrink" over the top of the bowl. If you're worried about using plastic wrap in your microwave, just cover the container with a suitable lid.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the fruit has cooled, combine all of the dough ingredients (including the eggs and the separated egg yolk, but reserve the fruit for now).
- Knead the dough with an electric mixer or a bread maker until it is smooth and elastic. As you knead it, it will be very loose and will stick to the bottom of the bowl and your hands (oiling your hands helps).
- Add the remaining fruit and liquid and knead until well combined.
- Allow the dough to rest, covered, for 1 hour. It should grow, but it may not double in size.
- After that, divide the dough into billiard-ball-sized pieces. A heaping tablespoon of muffins (approximately 13 cup) equals one serving. They'll be between 12 and 14 buns. Round the balls with your oiled hands.
- Place the balls in the pan that has been preheated.
- Allow the buns to rise for 1 hour, or until they are puffy and touchable
- Preheat the oven to 190oC while the dough rises.
- Combine the reserved egg white and the tablespoon of milk in a mixing bowl.
- Brush this mixture over the tops of the buns.
- Bake the buns for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and carefully remove them from the pan (they should come together) and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- When the buns are completely cool, spread the frosting in the shape of a cross over each one.
- Serve the hot cross buns for dessert, breakfast, or as a snack.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1032Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 193mgSodium 1620mgCarbohydrates 151gFiber 7gSugar 33gProtein 27g