Kibbeh Nayeh Recipe
Kibbeh Nayeh, a Lebanese dish, is one of those foods that, like Marmite, you either love or despise.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 lb Ground Lamb
- ¼ cup Burghul
- 1 Onion
- 25 Mint Leaves
- ½ tsp Seven Spices
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Cover the burghul in a bowl with 12 cup hot water and set aside to soak and absorb the water.
- Mint leaves, spices, pepper, salt, and chopped onion should all be combined in a food processor.
- After the burghul has absorbed the water, add it. Squeeze any excess water out to ensure that it is not soggy.
- Process until everything is well combined and the mint leaves are chopped.
- Place the ground lamb in a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients from the food processor, and mix well with your hands. (When I do this, I wear sterile gloves.)
- Once combined, transfer to a serving dish and garnish with a spoon to make small grooves in the meat.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, mint leaves, red peppers, lemon, and even garlic if desired.
- Kibbe nayyeh should be served cold, so keep the dish in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready, shape the kibbe mixture into baseball-sized balls and arrange them on your serving dish.
- Spread the kibbe on the dish with your hands or a spoon until it's no thicker than 34 inch (2 cm). Make some patterns on it if you want.
- Pour a generous amount of high-quality olive oil over it.
- Optional side dishes include mint, radish, green peppers, green chili peppers, hot peppers, green onions, and white onions.
- Kibbe nayyeh is served with a fork or wrapped in pita bread.
Amount Per ServingCalories 391Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 110mgSodium 700mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 9gSugar 1gProtein 32g