Kek Lapis Sarawak cake
Sarawak Layer Cake is primarily consumed during special occasions in Malaysia.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 170 g of flour
- 130 g of corn starch
- 1/2 cc of spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise)
- 275 g butter (room temperature)
- 350 g of sugar
- 150 g of condensed milk
- 80 ml of vegetable oil
- 2 cc of vanilla extract
- 7 egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 7 albumi (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cc of tartar
- Set aside the dough after combining the flour, cornstarch, and spices.
- 230 g butter and 200 g sugar, beaten until frothy Combine 110 g condensed milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Once the mixture is homogeneous, gradually add the 7 egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- To make a homogeneous mixture, add the floury dough twice.
- Whisk the 7 egg whites until stiff, then whisk in 150 g of sugar and tartar. Pour the beaten egg whites into the dough twice, gently.
- Color the pasta now. Take 300 g of dough and roll it out. 2 tablespoons of pasta, mixed with 2 tablespoons of red food coloring, poured into the dough until a uniform color is obtained.
- Repeat with the green food coloring. You should now have three portions of pasta: one red, one green, and one - larger - of natural color.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter + 2 tablespoons condensed milk This will cover the layers of dough one by one.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper and top with 100 g of natural colored dough. Bake the pasta layer in a preheated oven at 170 ° C (grill function) for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately after cooking, smooth the layer of pasta with the bottom of a glass.
- Brush the baked dough layer with condensed milk and butter, then top with 100 g of red dough and bake for another 5 minutes. Rep this process until all of the red and green pasta has been used up. About 250g of natural colored dough should be left over for the layer cake topping.
- Allow the layered cake to cool for 10 minutes after it has been assembled. Remove the edge of the cake with a knife, then carefully turn it over on the parchment paper to cool completely.
- Cut the cooled layer cake's edges cleanly. The cake should then be cut into layers and then into strips that are as wide as they are tall. Spread condensed milk on all sides of the cake strips before assembling them into a staggered design. Wrap everything in aluminum foil and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by smoothing the remaining natural-colored dough into the rectangular pan, cooking for 5 minutes until golden brown, and smoothing with the bottom of a glass.
- Brush the cooled cake with condensed milk before wrapping it around the colorful layer cake. Remove the remaining edge. Finally, wrap everything in aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Amount Per ServingCalories 1497Total Fat 86gSaturated Fat 42gTrans Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 39gCholesterol 483mgSodium 509mgCarbohydrates 172gFiber 2gSugar 108gProtein 13g