Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 6 kg of red peppersfor their classic horn shape)
- 1 kg of eggplant
- 750 ml of seed oil (in the original recipe, I used 250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 150 ml of apple cider vinegar
- sale q.b
- 3 whole cloves of red garlic with peel and just crushed
- 3 chillies (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C and place the whole peppers and aubergines on the baking sheets as soon as they are hot. Allow them to cook until done, about 45 minutes, and then set aside to cool.
- To make peeling the peppers easier, I place them in paper bread bags and keep them there until they are cold. You can achieve the same effect by grilling peppers and aubergines.
- Remove the skins and seeds from the peppers and drain them in a colander; remove the skins from the eggplants and set aside.
- Ajvar sauce was traditionally not blended, but rather passed through manual meat grinders; the choice is yours!
- Place the clean peppers and aubergines in the jug of a blender (I used the Thermomix), add the vinegar, a portion of the oil, and the sugar, and coarsely blend.
- In a pan with high sides, heat a portion of the oil to be used with the crushed garlic heads and let it flavor. Remove the garlic from the pot and add the pepper and eggplant sauce. Simmer the sauce while constantly stirring in the remaining oil.
- The cooking time will be approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes / 2 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add chillies if you like it spicy.
- The sauce is ready when it has a compact appearance, similar to jam.
- Sterilize preserving jars and fill them with the Ajvar sauce, making sure there are no empty holes in the bottom and that the jars are completely full.
- Replace the caps.
- Take a pot and place a cloth on the bottom (this will protect the pot from damage); place the Ajvar Sauce jars tightly closed in the pot and cover with cold water
- Place the pot on the stove and wait 15 minutes after the water begins to boil.
- Allow them to cool in the water before placing them in a dark place to be consumed.
- When you squeeze the preserves caps, they should not make a sound. If the cap makes a "click clack," the jar has not been properly sterilized.
Amount Per Serving Calories 677Total Fat 71gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 63gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 1g