Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- 4 cups of bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 4 tsp instant yeast (each packet is 2 ¼ tsp)
- 2 cucharadita sal
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter (melted, cooled)
- 1 1/4 cups of Water (heated to 105 degrees F / 40 degrees C)
- Oil (for the bowl)
- This incredibly tasty Cob Loaf is also a fantastic yeast bread for new bakers to try! It goes well with almost any meal and is a favorite bread for serving soups and party sauces!
- Add 4 cups bread flour, 4 teaspoons instant yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt (opposite of yeast) to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- To combine the dry ingredients, whisk them together.
- Stir in the 5 tablespoons melted butter and 14 cup warm water until all of the flour is incorporated and you have a slightly sticky dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes in a stand mixer, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a clean bowl and pour the batter into it. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel and set aside for an hour to double in size.
- Punch the dough until it forms a taut loaf by pulling the sides in and pinching them together (the bottom of the dough will be the top of the loaf). You want your bread to be well-rounded and soft, but if it appears too high, gently press it with your hand.
- Place the shaped bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then cover with a damp kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes to an hour, or until it has nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C) and prepare an old baking sheet with water to which you will add the bread.
- Sprinkle some more flour on top of your bread and gently rub it into the batter. Score the top of the loaf in a diamond shape with a sharp knife or a lame baker.
- When you place the loaf in the oven, be prepared to add boiling water to the roasting pan. This will produce the steam necessary for a deliciously crispy bread.
- Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 390°F (199°C), remove roasting pan with water, and continue baking for 20-25 minutes.
- When the bread reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees F (88 degrees C) and sounds like a drum when tapped or banged, it is done.
- When the bread is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for an hour before cutting or storing.
Amount Per Serving Calories 674Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 38mgSodium 122mgCarbohydrates 103gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 18g