Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 10 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 290 ml of cream to assemble (>35% grease)
- 290 ml of evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 90g sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or ½ pod seeds
- Combine the yolks, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and gently heat over low heat. Later, the cream is whipped and mixed.
- We stir continuously with rods or a wooden spoon until it thickens (if we have a thermometer, this occurs between 72-75o, but we should not exceed 85o). We'll keep scratching the bottom because, as with any custard, this is where the mixture tends to curdle the fastest. Be careful of lumps; if any appear, we can use a hand mixer to break them up.
image of vanilla ice cream making
- Cover the saucepan with plastic wrap, touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and set aside to cool completely. We chilled the mixture overnight, as many professionals recommend, to allow the flavors to settle and the proteins to hydrate (for example, Paco Torreblanca does).
- We whip the cream until it is semi-hard after the mixture has cooled (be careful not to go over it and turn it into butter). We use enveloping movements to mix the semi-whipped cream. We take another half-hour break.
- step-by-step instructions for making homemade ice cream
- We begin by turning on the refrigerator and pouring the previous mixture. If the refrigerator is powerful enough, it should be ready in 10-15 minutes.
- We thoroughly clean the refrigerator with a spatula before transferring the soft ice cream to an airtight container and freezing it until it has just hardened.
Amount Per Serving Calories 322Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 162mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 0gSugar 22gProtein 6g