Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of dry biological yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) of warm water
- ½ cup (125ml) of olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons ) of salt
- 4 to 4 ¼ cups
- 3 tablespoons of fresh oregano leaves
- ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of parmesan grated
- 12 cup (125ml) warm water in the large bowl of the mixer (using the paddle-shaped beater); sprinkle yeast + 1 pinch sugar over the water and mix to dissolve. Set aside at room temperature for about 10 minutes, or until a foam forms.
- 1 cup (155g) flour, 1 cup (250ml) warm water, the remaining sugar, 14 cup (60ml) oil, salt, and 1 cup (155g) flour 1 minute on medium speed, until everything is creamy. Reduce the speed to medium-low and beat for 2 minutes after adding 1 cup (155g) of the flour.
- Replace the batter with the one that has been hooked. On low speed, gradually add the remaining flour, 12 cup (75g) at a time, until you have a soft dough that comes away from the sides of the bowl. Continue beating on low speed, adding 1 tablespoon flour if the dough sticks, for about 6 minutes, or until the dough is moist, soft, and slightly sticky. Allow the bowl to rise for 20 minutes after covering it with plastic or PVC film.
- Line a large rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil it. Place the dough on the paper and, using oil-greased hands, press and stretch it to a thickness of 2.5 cm. Cover once more with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature to double in size (about 1 hour). The thickness will be reduced to 5cm.
- Make small holes 2.5cm deep across the surface of the dough with your fingertips – sink your fingers in until you almost reach the pan. Drizzle with the remaining 14 cup (60ml) oil*. Cover once more with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the oregano, pepper, and Parmesan on top of the focaccia. Bake until golden in a preheated oven at 220 oC. (about 20 to 25 minutes). Check that the bottom of the bread is golden as well – if it's still white, bake for a few minutes longer.
Amount Per ServingCalories 21Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 2mgSodium 300mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 1g