Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Additional Time 30 minutes
Total Time 3 hours
- Pork leg 2,5 kg
- Onions 1
- Carrots 1
- Celery 1 stalk
- Juniper berries 10
- Coarse salt 1 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic
- Laurel 4 leaves
- Wild fennel to taste
- Black pepper in grains to taste
- Cloves to taste
- Star anise to taste
- FOR THE ICING
- Acacia honey 300 g
- Orange juice 1
- Ground cinnamon 1 tbsp
- Sweet paprika 1 tbsp
- Mash the juniper berries for the glazed ham.
- Then, in a large pan, drizzle with oil and place the leg: then add the bay leaves, which have been rinsed under running water, and a tablespoon of fennel seeds.
- Pour in the peppercorns, crushed juniper berries, star anise 5, and celery stick.
- Then add the carrots, which have already been peeled and coarsely chopped, the onions, which have been peeled and quartered, and the garlic cloves, which have been peeled.
- Then, pour enough water into the pan to cover the ham.
- Pour in a tablespoon of coarse salt, then cover the pan with a lid without completely sealing it and cook for at least three hours, turning the leg from time to time to ensure even flavoring. After cooking, the leg must cool completely in the same pan. In the meantime, make the glaze by spitting the juice of an orange.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, cinnamon, and sweet paprika, then add the orange juice and mix well.
- Cook the sauce over low heat, whisking constantly until the glaze becomes quite fluid. Now that the meat and sauce are ready, use a knife to remove the skin from the ham. Then, using the same blade, engrave the surface to create lozenges.
- Place the ham in a pan lined with parchment paper at this point. Insert the cloves19 at the point where the miter cuts meet to create a neat and geometric decoration. Then, using a kitchen brush20, carefully brush the ham with the glaze. Then bake for 30 minutes at 250° in a preheated static oven (230° for 20-25 minutes in a convection oven). When it's done, you'll have a succulent glazed ham21 on the table!
Amount Per Serving Calories 4353Total Fat 276gSaturated Fat 101gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 150gCholesterol 1469mgSodium 1387mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 420g