Nothing beats the rich flavor of straight maple syrup if you don’t have any on hand. However, you can use pantry staples to make a tasty, less expensive substitute for the sweetness of a moist pancake and syrup bite. Our simple recipe can be used in French toast, waffles, or fruit salads and will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks. Warm the sauce to room temperature before serving because it will be too thick to pour straight from the refrigerator.
Maple syrup is made from the sap of maple trees. This sap is boiled to concentrate the sweetness and thicken it to a syrupy consistency; one gallon of maple syrup requires approximately 40 gallons of sap. This labor-intensive process helps to explain why pure maple syrup is so expensive. Our recipe, on the other hand, will not break the bank and is a great substitute that you can use to sweeten drinks and at breakfast.
Please keep in mind that our recipe contains butter, so it is not vegan unless you use plant-based margarine.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar , tightly packed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon maple extract or vanilla extract
- Collect all of the ingredients.
- Spread the sugar in an even layer in a heavy skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until it begins to melt and brown. Slowly turn the pan or gently fold the blended sugar from the edges to the center with a silicone or wooden spatula.
- Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the sugar has turned amber in color. Reserve.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar.
- Pour the boiling water over it and leave it alone to dissolve.
- In the saucepan, combine the caramelized sugar and the melted brown sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, over low heat until the mixture thickens to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, maple or vanilla extract, and salt.
- Allow to cool before using or storing in an airtight container
Amount Per ServingCalories 75Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 6mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 0gSugar 18gProtein 0g