Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 4 corn tortillas, torn
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 kg of turkey or lean beef
- 14.5 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Beef Stock
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Toss the torn corn tortillas in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are the size of crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of the soup crumbs and place the remainder in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the remaining meatball ingredients gently with your hands, being careful not to overmix. Scoop up the meat mixture with a spoon or cookie scoop. Form into balls and place on a plate. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Clean the food processor bowl and add to the fire roasted tomatoes, onion, jalapeo, garlic, chipotle, spices, salt, and pepper. Work the mixture until it is smooth
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, with the tomato mixture in the pot. The mixture will darken and start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Combine the beef stock, carrots, zucchini, and the remaining corn tortilla crumbs in a mixing bowl. Bring the soup to a boil after gently dropping in the meatballs. When the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender. If desired, top the soup with chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, and sliced avocado.
Amount Per Serving Calories 755Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 338mgSodium 1727mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 11gSugar 11gProtein 89g