Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 large carrot , finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- ¾ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Sea salt, to taste
- Water or broth, as needed
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook for 30 seconds after adding the cumin. Combine the onion, carrot, celery, and oregano in a mixing bowl. Cook for 2 minutes after sprinkling with salt. Cover partially and reduce heat to medium-low for 10 minutes, or until soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, after adding the smoked paprika.
- Add the cooked beans and their liquid, or just enough water to cover if using canned beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and cook for 30 minutes, covered. If the beans appear to be too dry, add a little water and season with salt to taste. Serve with Brown Rice or burritos.
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 1mgSodium 168mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 11gSugar 2gProtein 12g