It is a cake with an outer layer of shortcrust pastry that is filled with an egg cream, milk, sugar, pumpkin, and spices that curdles when baked, giving it a very soft and fluffy texture similar to a mousse.
Americans prepare it with a canned pumpkin that has already been pureed and spiced. I used fresh pumpkin and made the spice mixture at home. The flavor and texture results have been spectacular, so even though canned pumpkin is difficult to find in Spain, the problem has been solved.
- 100 grams of butter
- 200 grams of flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 50 grams of water
- 3 eggs M
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of ginger (powdered)
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of cloves (powder)
- 1 pinch salt
- 135 grams of whipping cream
- 135 grams of milk
- 160 grams of brown sugar
- 400 grams of pumpkin puree
- You can use a refrigerated sheet of shortcrust pastry or make your own. In this case, use the above-mentioned ingredients and proportions, and learn how to make shortcrust dough (you only have to make two changes: use normal flour and add the sugar along with the salt). After the dough has rested in the refrigerator, carefully stretch it and place it on the mold. It must be baked 'blank,' that is, without any filling. To accomplish this, we will place a circle of baking paper on top of which we will place some vegetables or baking balls.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 220o in a preheated oven. Remove from the oven, remove the paper and weight, and bake for 5 minutes more.
- To begin making the filling, make a pumpkin puree. To begin, prepare 700 grams of pumpkin by peeling, cleaning, and chopping it. You can grill it, cook it with very little water, steam it, or microwave it with a splash of water and covered. It will take approximately 8 minutes. When it is tender, drain thoroughly, crush, and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, spices, and salt in a mixing bowl. Beat in the milk, cream, and sugar until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree and thoroughly combine everything. Strain it if there are any lumps.
- Heat for about 8 minutes over medium heat to thicken, stirring constantly with a few rods and being very careful that the eggs do not set because it will cut. The temperature of the mixture should be around 60o. When the mixture is nearly finished, pour it over the dough (it should be hot) and bake for 35 minutes at 175o, or until golden brown and set.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for two hours on a rack.
- Because the moisture in the filling softens the dough, this cake does not keep well. It's best to eat it as soon as it cools.
- Traditionally, pumpkin pie is topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon or a spice blend known as pumpkin spices.
- If you don't have or can't find the pumpkin spice mixture, crush and mix 3 tablespoons cinnamon, 1 and 12 tablespoon ginger (powder), 12 tablespoon nutmeg, 12 tablespoon cloves (powder), and 12 teaspoon salt. It will keep perfectly for months if stored in a tightly closed glass jar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 747Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 234mgSodium 424mgCarbohydrates 92gFiber 5gSugar 47gProtein 13g