“It is thought that the Crumble was born as a result of the food rationing that existed in England during World War II.”
“The most common fruits used in the preparation of this cake are grapes, rhubarb, blackberries, pears, cherries, and so on. Fruits that impart a slightly sour flavor to the pasta are preferred. Although some recipes call for broken cookies, the dough is made with flour and butter.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLE CRUMBLE?
This recipe is simple and takes about 35 minutes to prepare; you will only need a few ingredients and spices:
Green Granny Smith apples should be used.
Lemon juice – used to keep apples from browning.
Sugar (both white and brown)
Cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg
With vanilla ice cream, custard, or whipped cream, serve your Apple Crumble.
- 3 to 4 small apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 50 grams of butter
- ½ cup of brown sugar or papelón (panela, piloncillo) *
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 50 grams of butter
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Using oil, grease a tall round refractory mold.
- Combine the chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar, and wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Combine thoroughly.
- Fill the greased mold halfway with apples.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and sugar. Place small pieces of butter on top of the mixture and lightly knead until the mixture is gritty. (Don't overwork the dough; it should be lumpy.)
- Spread the dough lumps over the apples and top with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream, custard, or whipped cream.
- When I don't have brown sugar on hand, I substitute papelón (brown sugar, panela)
Amount Per Serving Calories 471Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 54mgSodium 171mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 5gSugar 51gProtein 3g