Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Additional Time 1 hour
Total Time 3 hours 20 minutes
- 2 kg pork (shoulder)
- 1 l water
- 150 gsale
- 50 g sugar
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of sage
- 2 g peppercorns
- 10 juniper berries
- To season
- 5 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- to taste aromas for roast
- pepper to taste
- to taste garlic powder
- Prepare the brine with the water, spices and aromatic herbs, salt, and sugar, then immerse the meat in it for at least 12 hours. The brine must cover the pork shoulder, and the container in which it is placed must have a lid, preferably an airtight lid.
- Add the brine the next day and bring the pork shoulder to room temperature.
- Spread mustard over the surface and generously sprinkle with a roasting spice blend of ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, and chilli.
- Place the meat in a baking dish, insert a roasting thermometer (such as this one), and wrap the pan and the pork shoulder in aluminum foil.
- 4 hours in a preheated oven at 140 degrees
- After this time, remove the aluminum and return the meat to the oven until the internal temperature reaches 95 degrees Celsius and a delicious crust forms. This could take up to 4 hours more.
- Take the pan out of the oven. Wrap the meat in aluminum foil and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- After that, shred the pork shoulder with a fork. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the cooking sauce.
- Serve with ketchup or barbecue sauce on the side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 651Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 220mgSodium 255mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 67g