Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 15 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 5 cups of spinach washed and chopped, without the tough stalks
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 1/2 cup whole or part skim milk
- grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat, then add the onion and brown for 3 minutes. Continue to the next step if they do not use onion. Please read the following note.
- Browned onion in butter
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and bubbling.
- Creamed spinach in sauce with flour and onion
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk to avoid lumps. Return to the heat and continue to stir until all of the milk has been incorporated. Reduce the heat to a low setting.
- The white sauce
- Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in the spinach, cover, and cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- spinach in a skillet with a lid
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 159Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 9mgSodium 280mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 6gSugar 5gProtein 10g