Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 ½ lb [0.7 kg] fish, cut into small pieces (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large carrot , sliced
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced squash , divided
- ½ gallon [1 lt] of water , (or more, if needed)
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- This soup is traditionally made with the head of a fish (for example, grouper or chillo) because it is the cheapest. If you don't want to use fish heads, use only fillets.
- If you're brave enough to make it with heads, use a few heads in step 1 and a fillet in step 2 so that pieces of fish remain in the soup.
- My mother did not strain the soup as instructed in step 1, but I dislike finding bones in it, so I deviate from mommy's recipe here.
Amount Per ServingCalories 336Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 97mgSodium 939mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 46g