Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 4 dry rice noodle nests - about 240 g / 8.5 oz
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 red chili peppers, chopped (leave the seeds in if you like it better)
- 1 piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 teaspoons yellow bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 15-20 prawns (shrimp) can be cooked or uncooked shrimp. They must have been deveined and have no heads or tails.
- 1/2 cup small shrimp
- 2 cups of beans
- 1 tablespoon. soy sauce
- Put your noodle nests in a skillet and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat, then drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside for now
- Begin the sauce while the noodles are cooking. In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the onions for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, or until they begin to turn translucent. Combine the chili peppers, ginger, garlic, and shrimp paste in a mixing bowl. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and, using a hand mixer, combine the onion and chili mixture in the skillet (be careful, it will be hot and may splatter a bit - transfer to a food processor to blend if you prefer). Add the yellow bean paste, tamarind paste, fish sauce, and sugar once everything is combined. Scoop out the mixture and set it aside in a bowl.
- In the same wok, heat half a tablespoon of oil until hot, then add half of the egg/soy sauce mixture. To make a thin tortilla, turn the pan around. After a minute, flip and cook the other side. Slide the skillet onto a cutting board and repeat with the remaining egg (if necessary, add another 1/2 tablespoon of oil). Roll and slice the second tortilla on top of the first for long, thin slices. Set aside for now.
- Cook the prawns in the remaining oil for 2 minutes, or until pink (if already cooked, then heat for 2 minutes anyway to reheat). Cook for one minute more after adding the small shrimp and beans. Heat the chili / onion paste for a minute or two, or until bubbly. Add the noodles and soy sauce, then cook for a few minutes over high heat (moving around the pan frequently) until the noodles are hot.
- Divide among serving bowls and top with cooked tortilla (heat from noodles will be enough to ensure tortilla slices are hot).
- Garnish with lime wedges and chopped chives / chives and fresh chili peppers.
Amount Per Serving Calories 398Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 135mgSodium 1295mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 8gSugar 17gProtein 18g