Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- for the frosting
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cream or milk to dilute
- grated chocolate to decorate
- Combine the softened butter, sugar, cornstarch, and flour in a mixing bowl until well combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour, covered with plastic wrap
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Form small mounds or balls of dough with a small spoon or spoon and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. If you prefer, you can use parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the base begins to brown. White caps will be used. Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before carefully transferring to a cooling rack. Because the cookies are so delicate, move them with a very fine spatula.
- Allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla, and just enough milk or cream to make it spreadable. It ought to be quite thick.
- Apply it to the cooled cookies and top with a sprinkle of grated chocolate.
- I scooped out the dough with a small 1 1/4 inch cookie scoop. Allow the cookie sheets to cool before reusing them, or your cookies will spread out.
- Check that the butter is truly at room temperature. It will not fully incorporate into the dry ingredients if it cools, and the batter will not come together properly.
- These cookies are extremely delicate, especially when still warm. Gently move and freeze them. Your efforts will be recognized.
Amount Per ServingCalories 200Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 30mgSodium 13mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 1g