We’re going to use raw pumpkin to make this pumpkin cake, so it’ll be a very simple and quick cake to make because we won’t have to roast the pumpkin and wait for it to cool, as in other recipes.
The pumpkin, in addition to flavor and color, adds a bit of moisture that keeps it juicy for several days, though I’m not sure if you’ll have time to check it because it disappears quickly.
This pumpkin sponge cake is ideal for the kids’ breakfast or snack, or to accompany the adults’ afternoon coffee… encourage yourselves to make it and let us know what you think.
- 300 g of pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 250g sugar
- 75 g of extra virgin olive oil
- 300 g flour
- 16 g of chemical yeast or impeller
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Icing sugar to sprinkle once out of the oven
- We remove the skin, seeds, and inner filaments from the pumpkin until we have 300 g of clean pulp, which we grate and reserve.
- We whisk the eggs with the sugar until they turn white, foam, and increase in volume. While continuing to beat, gradually add the oil, followed by the flour, yeast, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix. Finally, we mix in the grated pumpkin.
- Pour into a mold, in this case an elongated plum cake mold, and bake for approximately 35 minutes at 180o C.
- We'll test the cake's internal temperature by inserting a needle or skewer; if it comes out clean, it's ready; if it comes out stained with dough, it needs a few more minutes, but be careful! Because the oven can be lowered, never open it before the first 20 minutes.
- Now all we have to do is take it out of the oven, let it cool, sprinkle it with icing sugar, and eat it.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1200Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 248mgSodium 103mgCarbohydrates 208gFiber 6gSugar 125gProtein 22g