Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 package 16 oz
- 3/4 cup crisco vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of ground pistachios to decorate
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup corn startch +1 extra tablespoon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rose water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1/2 tablespoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. You want a smooth, creamy texture rather than a lumpy texture. Turn off the heat and continue beating for another minute or so after the cream has thickened significantly.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a Pyrex dish, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 30 minutes to cool to room temperature. If you have time, chill for an additional 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Make the sugar syrup while you wait for the Ashta to cool.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small pot. Time 5 minutes after it begins to boil. After that, add the orange blossom water, rose water, and lemon juice. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 2 minutes before turning off the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
- After the Ashta has cooled, make the phyllo dough. Microwave the butter and shortening in a small glass bowl for 1 minute, covered with plastic wrap. Take care not to overheat.
- Place a flat sheet on a board or wipe the kitchen counter to prepare the phyllo dough. Brush the butter mixture onto the sheet's surface and stack 15 sheets on top of each other.
- Cut the leaf into squares that are all the same size. Fill the center with a full teaspoon (normal spoon) of the Ashta mixture and fold over to close. Repeat the procedure for the remaining sheets.
- Place the cakes in a parchment-lined nonstick skillet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown, in a preheated 375°F oven.
- Remove from the oven and brush with 1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar syrup. You can add more to the batter as you serve it, so it isn't overly sweet.
- Allow to cool for 2 hours at room temperature before refrigerating unwrapped for another 2 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1491Total Fat 104gSaturated Fat 55gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 44gCholesterol 199mgSodium 146mgCarbohydrates 135gFiber 2gSugar 130gProtein 10g