The recipe is based on a well-known and popular Thai dish: green papaya salad. We tried it while on vacation in Bangkok a few years ago. Wonderful. Spicy, but also very fragrant, with a fresh and sour taste and a strong aftertaste from the fermented shrimp mixture, which is used throughout Thailand.
Our version is a little simpler, but it remains true to the original. If you can find green papaya, use it instead of mango. In Maremma, the only mangoes available are those that are intentionally sold green. They never ripen, and when they do, they become brown and rotten. They’re terrible as fruits, but they’re fantastic in this green mango Thai salad.
Tomatoes and beans add a touch of sweetness and crunch, but only in small amounts. The green mango is the true star.
Thai green mango salad is extremely hot. Our version has a fantastic spiciness as well. It is important to note that this dish is never served in the same way that our salads are at home. Instead, it is always served with a side of steamed rice (see the link for instructions on how to make it in four easy steps) to balance out the spiciness and provide a strong contrast.
If you can’t find fish sauce or dried shrimp, omit the shrimp and substitute soy sauce. It won’t be the same Thai green mango salad, but it’ll be a tasty lunch nonetheless! Have a wonderful meal!!
- 1 green mango, grated
- 4-5 green beans, chopped
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of peanuts, toasted
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- clove of garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of palm sugar or raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried shrimp, optional
- 1 lime, juice only
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mango, green beans, and tomatoes. Mix in the peanuts and chilies.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the salad. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve with steamed or sticky rice.
Amount Per ServingCalories 302Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 26mgSodium 1580mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 8gSugar 24gProtein 15g