Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 5 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 300 g pearl barley
- 1 l meat or vegetable broth
- 30 ml white wine
- 60 ml olive oil
- 150 g Speck Alto Adige IGP
- 100 g Stelvio cheese
- South Tyrolean apple (eg Gala)
- 20 g donkey
- Cook the onion in olive oil after cutting it into cubes.
- Allow the pearl barley to brown for a few minutes before deglazing with the wine and continuing to cook, adding the broth a little at a time, until the barley is al dente (about 40 minutes).
- Brown the speck by cutting it into thin strips.
- Add the speck and finish cooking just before the barley is done. Cook the apple in butter before adding it to the barley.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chives.
- Serve the barley in a deep plate, garnished with speck strips, and then top with the grated cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 677Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 155mgSodium 433mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 47g