Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 15 oz (425g) chicken feet
- 1 spoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1/2 cup shallots, peeled and chopped
- 25g (1 oz.) Ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste (Douchi)
- 1 tablespoon soy or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 anise stars
- 0.5 teaspoon Five Spice powder
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon ground pepper
- 0.5 cup chives finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a tablespoon of water
- Oil for frying
- Chicken feet should have their nails removed. They can be cut with a knife. In the bottom or palm of the leg, make an incision. Make certain that they are completely dry.
- Combine the garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, Five Spices, anise stars, black bean paste, soy sauce, and oyster sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Fry the chicken feet (very dry) in a deep pot with 350°F oil until golden brown, about 12 minutes (cover the container; protect from explosive splashes).
- Remove the legs and soak them for an hour in ice water.
- Allow the sugar to caramelize in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
- When the sugar starts to brown, add the chicken feet, spices from the bowl, and a cup and a half of water. Add the chili paste if you want it spicy. Combine thoroughly.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for about 25 minutes on medium heat. Cook for about an hour on medium heat if using a regular pot.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the heat, allow it to cool, and then uncover according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Return the pot to the stove, uncovered, over medium heat, and reduce the liquid slightly. Continue cooking after adding the diluted cornstarch. When it begins to boil again, turn off the heat and remove the pot.
- Serve the legs with the sauce. Garnish with chives, finely chopped. Garnish with finely chopped chili, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 93Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 637mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 2g