I discovered cow cheeks the other day and, having never cooked before, decided to give it a shot. I made them for her husband’s birthday dinner, and they were a hit with everyone.
When I saw the meat, especially the chubby one, I thought it was ideal for the slow cooker. I came across a recipe for pork cheeks in Port wine, marta miranda, and decided to adapt it. According to the recipe, it also works well with cow and encourages the exchange of ingredients. I substituted onions for leeks, gathered dried tomatoes and peppers, and substituted Provence herbs for the garni bouquet. In the preparation, I placed the vegetables directly in the clay pot, without sautéing, and only dried half of the meat with a strand of olive oil and crushed garlics.
- 2 Cheeks (about 1 kg)
- 100 ml Port Wine
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Onions
- 4 Cloves garlic
- Half red pepper
- 2 Dried tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Herbs from Provence
- Sal q.b.
- Piri-piri to taste (optional)
- They are amazing and prepare quickly, and then the slow cooker takes care of the rest; she is slow, but she is a perfectionist.
- Excess fat should be removed from the cheeks. (I chose to break the two cheeks into four pieces.)
Seal the meat in a pan with olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. (I only seeded two pieces.)
- Prepare the vegetables (the carrots I cut into slices).
- Arrange the vegetables in the pan's bottom.
- Arrange the meat on top, along with the pan's olive oil.
- Combine the dried tomatoes, seasonings, and wine in a mixing bowl.
- Cooking on low for 6 to 8 hours, depending on the pan's characteristics (see notes). It took 7 hours in my pot.
- You can make a sauce (by grinding a portion of the vegetables with the broth) or a reduction with vegetables, as I did in this stuffed turkey recipe.]
- Serve with mashed potatoes and salad on the side.
- Allow the meat to stand for a few minutes after removing from the pan for a cleaner cut that does not fall apart when cutting.
For this recipe, I used a crock-pot multisize digital with a capacity of 5.6 liters and a power rating of 220-240 W.
- The recipe should be tailored to the characteristics of the slow cooker pan in which it will be prepared.
- If you make the recipe, please share your experience (as well as the characteristics of your pot) in the comments to assist other blog visitors in adapting to different pots.
Amount Per Serving Calories 83Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 120mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 1g